Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Back online!

Wow, what a day to be without internet access! Lots of news to share!

I got to hold my baby boy yesterday!!! Our favorite nurse, Denise, was back yesterday and the first thing she asked me was if I had gotten to hold him. When I said no, she got on it and made it happen. It was so incredible to feel him in my arms! He's so heavy! It was amazing to see his full face and he stared up at me almost the whole time. He looks different than when he's in bed and we can only see half of his face. Tony also got to hold him that evening and he did the same thing-he gets really alert when he's out of his bed!
I just happened to catch this. I know people say "it's just gas" but he only did it when we were holding him and I never heard any gas!

We got into the Ronald McDonald House and stayed there last night. That's why we couldn't update, because there wasn't any access there. The hospital access is really restrictive and I couldn't get on to my blog from there either. Anyway, the RMH was a place to sleep, but very basic. We were thankful to be so close to the hospital, due to the next piece of news, but there are families that needed it worse than us.

Gage had his surgery to place the shunt today. He did great and is back in his bed, resting now. His little head is swolen on the side where they placed it and his ear is sticking out, but that should go down soon. I am so glad for this to be over with because it was the last big hurdle. He came back from surgery on his back (and still sedated), which is a different position for him. We put him on his back earlier and I changed his diaper. My step-dad described it as being like a turtle on his back- his arms and legs were flailing around. He did not like it!

The other bit of news is that we are now staying in the Embassy Suites in West Little Rock! Tony's coworker, Dylesha, got in touch with her brother, who works for Hilton Hotels and got us a $39 a night rate!!! We have been so thankful for everyone's generosity. It has made this experience easier than we anticipated. We know that there are people checking this blog and praying for us that we don't even know. We are so thankful for each of you and for each prayer. Know that we are reading each comment and email and listening to each voicemail, but it would take all night to return every one!

10 comments:

Kellie said...

Found your blog through another I read. Read through all of your entries to get the full story.

You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Your son is beautiful and such a strong little boy. I admire your strength and courage through all of this!!

Looking forward to future updates!!

Lucky Gem said...

I see Kellie has made her way here! I almost cried seeing the picture of you holding Gage. I'm so very happy for you and admire your positive spirit!

Ashley said...

I am so happy you got to hold him! I bet it was the best feeling to have him in your arms. So happy the shunt surgery went well. Now we can look forward to when he is released from the hospital! Your faith and spirit are truly inspiring. Gage is SO LUCKY to have you and Tony as parents!

Tracy Ferrell said...

I am so thankful everything went great and Gage is doing so good. God is WONDERFUL! And I'm so excited Tony got his Embassy Suites. Isn't that great! Love to all three of you!

Pam said...

What a sweet smile!

Ashley said...

I am so glad you got to hold him - I know it ust have felt wonderful. I pray for little Gage's continued healing!

Janet said...

Babies are a precious gift from God. They are so much stronger than we are as adults. Your baby boy is adorable. Everyone at Community Bank is praying for Little Gage. Your mom is so excited. If ya'll need anything, the Community Bank family is here for you. God Bless.

MaeMae said...

To God be the glory!

MaeMae said...

To God be the glory. I hear that Uncle Nate, Papaw and Mimi are coming to see you soon. I wish I could come to, but cannot make it this time. Maybe they will get to hold you,too. Just know you are all loved very much. Love you so much.

shellie said...

I went to work today and told everyone how you and Tony got to hold Gage.Im keeping them all up dated on everything.He is such a sweet baby.Our thoughts and prayers are with you.I love the pictures.Gage is very blessed to have you two as parents.Glad to hear the surgery went well.let us know at school if there is anything you need.We are her for you guys. Take care. Shellie logan