Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Thursday, September 6, 2007

Recovering well

Gage looked SO much better today. His head is noticeably smaller and the swelling at the surgery site on his head is all but gone. The surgeons came by and saw him just as we arrived at the NICU this morning and said that everything looked really good. The docs that rounded this morning mentioned going home soon, although they didn't say when. He still has some tests to go through, but it looks like we are definitely on the downhill slope now.

The big news of today is that I got to nurse him twice! They put his feeding tube through his nose so it wouldn't get in the way. The first time this morning with the help of a lactation consultant and by myself this evening. The boy nurses like a champ! It takes a little while to get him to understand what he needs to do, but once he figures it out he's a happy kid. They said they will let me nurse him 3 times tomorrow and make sure he tolerates it well...then I think they will let us loose to nurse whenever we want to.

Here's Daddy's idea of feeding:
And Gage looking pensive:

6 comments:

Gail Crawford said...

Jess, he's beautiful! You three are a precious family, and I'm so thankful that things are going well. I've been keeping up with Vickey, just being sure she doesn't just burst out of her clothes as she crows! How thankful I am to God for the blessings He is pouring on you - He IS good, isn't He? Much love from me!

Vickey said...

That is the sweetest baby in the world! You can't tell me that the smile wasn't because he was in his Mom's arms at last! You guys make us proud of you every day!

Lucky Gem said...

Jessica, I couldn't be happier for you! Gage is such a lucky kid.

MaeMae said...

He gets prettier and prettier just like his mama even if he is being told he looks like Tony.
I love the one of him with his little finger on those sweet lips.
You and Tony both look great, too!
I am so thankful for all God has done and very thankful that you rest in His arms as comfortably as Gage rests in yours. I love you.

Ashley said...

I'm so happy for you! I'll keep praying that everything continues to go well.

Kellie said...

He's a gorgeous little boy!!