Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Monday, November 12, 2007

Just hanging out

There's not a ton to say. We are just spending our days in this room....waiting. We had a couple of rough days but we are okay now. We think Gage had a CSF headache from too much fluid draining. He was crying when he was full, which is when he is usually really happy or asleep. They adjusted his EVD and told us to clamp when he cries a lot so he doesn't drain off too much fluid. I can't wait for him to get his shunt back!!! The surgeon explained that the shunt will only let the fluid drip slowly, even under pressure, and this EVD will let it pour out. We were concerned that it was leaking at the site where the tube goes in his head, too, but he said that their skin is just so thin this young that it is just going to leak when he cries or strains. They changed the dressing on his head to remove the saturated one, which was a fiasco in itself- didn't have the right kind of tape to re-dress it AFTER they had already pulled all the tape off. Took 45 minutes to get the right tape. UH!

We are just waiting and being bored. It's frustrating to deal with the IV and the EVD all the time. We are SO ready to go home! I think Gage is tired of it too. He has decided today that sleeping in his bed is not as fun as sleeping on one of us. He will be out and we will put him down. He will usually stay there for a few minutes, but then wants up again. I don't mind holding him, but it's hard to keep him in the same position for long. I could throw that EVD out the window!

We have been told that surgery is scheduled for Friday morning first thing. If all goes well, the shunt will be replaced then and we can go home Saturday. Pray for a quick week for us and that everything stays clear so we can stay on the same schedule!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I will continue to pray that everything goes well. :)

Emmilu said...

Jessica, Tony, and Gage
I hope you all get to come home soon! Gage's pictures so precious! We are praying for you.
Emily

Courtney said...

Jess, You three are in my prayers. I know how hard it is to have a newborn in the hospital...those can be long days. Just know that I love you guys, and my prayers are with you.

Rhonda said...

Tony and Jess,
Hope you got the previous comments, I wasnt sure if the went across. Just know that I am thinking of you all, and praying for you also. Gage is so precious. God Bless the three of you, and hope you are home soon.

Carmen Norris said...

Jessica,Tony,and Gage,

Hi! I hope everything is going okay with you guys. I know how hard it was for me to go through shunt surgery at 22 and to see
Gage doing so well at 2 months is just amazing. I check the web everyday to get updates. I will keep praying for you all and I hope to get a chance to see you soon. Best of Luck!!!