Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

IDIOT!!

Yeah, that's me! I just sliced my thumb with a butter knife of all things. Pork chops on the grill, fries in the oven. Baby in his highchair and crying. Tony still at work. Yeah, It's going to need stitches. It's deep. Man-nurse Tony said that I have "an intense vagal reaction to sudden pain" because although I didn't lose *that* much blood, I felt like I was going to pass out. I did pass out once when I sprained my ankle. Scary thought with a 4 month old here with me! I sat down on the floor with my thumb wrapped in a paper towel and waited for the feeling to pass. Now it just hurts. Wanna know how I sliced my thumb with a butter knife? I was using it to try to pry the hard tube off of the flexible tube of my old vacuum cleaner so I could try to get the toy in there unlodged. Smart. At least I haven't put horse medicine on it...

7 comments:

Rita Hudgeons said...

I remember another time when you passed out.....at the Governor's Mansion!!
I hope it gets better soon. I sliced mine open last week cutting an orange. It was the night before my first day back to work, and I was already on edge...so I cried like crazy.

sterlingirl said...

OUCH!!!!!

Whitney said...

I have the same reaction to seeing my own blood...anyone else's cut, stitches, bone sticking out of flesh...I'm fine...but when it's my blood I see...faint...

Just goes to show you that we should all have a maid and let them take the toy out of the vacuum!!!

Hope it feels better soon!
Love, Whitney

valerie said...

I did the same thing when i sprained my ankle 2 summers ago! I almost passed out before i could get myself back into the house.

Jessica said...

Rita- You HAD to bring that up:). I guess if he becomes president that will be something!

Whit-Seriously. I went to OT school, not maid school...a maid probably would have MOVED the toy to begin with and not sucked it up in the vacuum hose. See what can happen if you try to do these things yourself? Lesson learned!

Aunt Suw said...

Oh my dear dear dear Jessica,
Of course you know, I laugh at inappropriate times. This was one of them. I was totally worried until I saw the word vacuum cleaner. You know on Forrest Gump when he takes his gun apart and puts it back together blind folded. That's me with a vacuum cleaner. I'm the Vacuum Cleaner Whisperer. Just a little advice from a professional volunteer maid (I guess know one has told you that you are automatically a maid, doctor, bouncer, electrician, answering service, chauffer, etc.......honey.....the best part --- it's all volunteer work). Anyway, I digress, appear to be confident with your vacuum cleaner. It can smell your fear. Use a screw driver, start by unscrewing any screws that hamper toy removal. Remove toy with coathanger, toilet plunger, whatever. Then you pretend you are a kid with a new box of tinker toys and get that thing put back together. You are officially on butter knife restriction for a while. My maid is invisible and I suspect she sits on her but most of the time. I love you.

Jessica said...

Uh, I know....well, here's the thing. I got out my screwdriver and removed every screw I could find. I took the tube off and used the broom handle to try to push the toy that was almost halfway through the tube out the other end...it is now severely lodged right smack in the middle of the tube and won't budge. The other end is crooked so I can't get anything in there. I will have to try something with a hook on it next...maybe a hanger would be long enough.