Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sleep issues!

Gage is napping so I have a minute. He has been a bear to try to get to bed lately. His sleep schedule has totally morphed since he had his cold. I think he would wake up because he couldn't breathe well or would cough. I guess it's partly my fault too. I couldn't stand to hear him all congested so I would get him up to suck out his nose and then nurse him back to sleep since he hates the sucker and that would make him mad. He is finally getting over the cold now but his sleep schedule is...well...unscheduled. It used to be so easy to put him down for a nap or to bed. He wouldn't even have to be all the way out and he would get comfy and go down without a problem. Now he cries when I put him down. Sometimes I can let him fuss and wiggle a little and he will find his thumb and will be okay then. Sometimes that doesn't work and he just cries until I pick him back up. He used to get sleepy every night around 8 or 8:30- he often didn't make it until Tony got home from work- last night we went to the bedroom for books and nursing at 8 and he was WIDE awake. He didn't fall asleep until 9:45. The night before- 10:30 and woke up again at 12:30. He used to sleep until at least 8am without waking up. This morning it was 7:30, which I was happy with. A few nights ago he woke up at 4am. I tried everything to get him back to sleep and finally gave in and nursed him. The night before that he had been up for an hour and 1/2 sometime in the middle of the night. He was just up! Naps have been tough too. He falls asleep on me or Tony easily enough but wakes up if we try to put him down. I need the naps to get ANYTHING done! I am going to start a good bedtime routine every night around 8, even if he's not sleepy, and maybe that will work eventually.

Other than that, Gage is such a good baby. I really shouldn't even complain about his sleep habits, since we are really lucky to have a 4 month old that has ever slept all night. Gage is just such a happy little guy. He smiles so easily. He thinks his Daddy is hilarious. He loves baths. He has discovered how fun it is to kick, both in and out of the water. When I change his diaper he pulls his knees up and then flings them both out hard. It's so funny! We can also see some plantar flexion at his ankles (toe pointing). It's weak and just a little, but anything is good.

I need to get a picture of it, but he loves grabbing his Daddy's face. Last night we were playing on the bed and Gage got Tony's ear and cheek. He would pull Tony's face to him, then push him away. So cute!

He really likes his new Exersaucer. The seat in it spins around and he always manages to get turned toward the t.v. He is better in the car. He plays and spins his little carseat toy thing. Still not thrilled about traveling at night, though...

Well, I hear him, so I better sign off.

2 comments:

Emmilu said...

Jess, I hope he starts sleeping better! I can sympathize with you. Liam did not sleep through the night until he was 18 months old. And we really did try to do the right things... Now he still takes an hour to go down every night, we always have to rock him to sleep. And he always wakes up at least once to walk from his bed to ours and climb in. Hopefully Gage wont take that path!

Steph said...

Oh, so glad I don't have to deal with the sleep issues (although there was ONE - okay TWO - recently...check my blog). I could not deal with anything more than that. I hope you get it figured out soon!!!