Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Pediatrician visit, sleep

We went to the pediatrician yesterday for Gage's well-baby visit. His new stats:
Weight: 20lbs, 4oz, 95th %ile
Height: 27", 75th %ile
Head circ: 17 3/4", 75th %ile

I was really happy about the height and head circ. I think the dietitian majors at UCA mis-measured his length when we went. They were having a hard time with it and he was supposedly in the 50th %ile. His head circ was 90th %ile or above before his new shunt and had stayed that way for a while. I am glad to know the shunt is doing its job.

He got 3 shots and an oral vax yesterday. He didn't even cry with the first shot, but did for the last 2. He was a little fussy yesterday, but not too bad. You can't even see where he got the shots on his legs today. The doc was happy with Gage's development and health. I was all prepared to have to defend myself for holding off on feeding him solids, but after she saw his weight she said "so all of this only on breast milk? No cereal or anything?" I said "yep, just breast milk" and she said "that's great. That's just really awesome." Made me happy with my pediatrician choice!

On the sleep front I think we have hit on something. Gage has been waking up once during the night and being very difficult to put down. He can be sound asleep, but as soon as any part of his body hits the bed he starts crying. A couple of times this week he has taken a nap in my new home-made moby wrap so I could get something done. Anyway, Tuesday night he was looking sleepy at around 7:00 and I decided to go ahead and try to put him to bed. He nursed and went down easily at 7:30. I thought he would be up again by 10pm, but he slept until 8:00am! He napped so well Wednesday. Of course, we couldn't test my theory again last night because we had church and didn't get home until 9:00. Gage was SO tired but it took a bit to get him down. He woke up at 2:30am and nursed back to sleep, then again sometime later, but put himself back to sleep. I really think I have been letting him get overtired. I am just not sure what to do the days Tony works. He leaves in the morning before Gage gets up and if he goes to bed at 7:30, Gage will go to bed before he gets home. I am sure we will work something out.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Glad to hear he is doing so well!