Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Urodynamics, Renal Ultrasound, VCUG

We didn't learn anything today and I spent the morning trying to read the nurses and techs doing the tests. There were 3: The first one (urodynamics) they put a catheter in and forced as much liquid in his bladder as they could before it started to leak out, measured the pressure and measured how much went in. They did tell us it was less than when he was born, which I thought was good since they told us his bladder was way too big then, but she acted like it wasn't a positive thing. The next was an ultrasound of his kidneys- I got no read on that guy at all. The last one they strapped him down completely, (which he HATED) and put a contrast dye into his bladder. They were looking to see if any of it refluxed into his kidneys and if he emptied his bladder. We didn't get a report on that one either, but by looking at the screen it didn't look like it was going the wrong way. I am pretty sure he didn't pee enough until after they stopped the test, at which point he hit the x-ray machine. Me and Tony were both going "come on, son, PEE!"

We will find out Saturday what the results are. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't really that big a deal, but it still makes me sad and worried. I just SO don't want to have to catheterize him!!
He's just such a trooper. I had no idea I could care so much about another person's wellbeing until I had Gage. He's such a normal baby. You would never know anything was wrong with him if you were to see us out, unless you happened to notice his shunt scar. He's just such a precious, happy, friendly baby. He has been such a blessing!

Oh, and he weighed in at 19.9lbs today. Chunk!

3 comments:

sterlingirl said...

Sweet, sweet boy. He is a trooper. So are you.

Ashley said...

Medical tests are never fun but I'm glad they are over for now. What a chunky boy! You must make some good milk! :)

Jessica said...

When we went back to visit when Gae was a couple months old, our favorite NICU nurse/ lactation consultant said that I must make heavy cream instead of milk!