Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dirty Fingernails

I love dirty fingernails. It means I have been in my yard, digging in the dirt. I am no master gardener, by any means. In fact, I can kill almost any plant, but I love it. I am determined to do a good job working in my yard this year. Last year, I was miserably pregnant and by June I was pretty much done in the yard. This is also the first time I haven't been working, so Gage and I should be sporting beautiful golden tans this year. He'd better get used to being outside, because that's where I plan to be. Yesterday I did a little work in my flower beds. I have enormous beds and one of them is almost beyond help at this point. It desperately needs some mulch and some TLC. Thankfully it mainly has big stuff in in- Bradford Pears, crepe myrtles, cannas. The weeds don't bother them much. I have also discovered that I have grape hyacinth.
They grow haphazardly in my front yard. I remember noticing them in years past, but have never done anything to or with them. This year I moved some to a flower bed and some to the rock border of my driveway. I think they will do well there. From what I read, they are very hearty so maybe I won't kill them. I also moved some of my shamrocks to the rock border. It's an awful ugly thing now. I am sure it was nice when they 1st did it but the metal border thing is falling down and rusted and the gray rocks are covered with weeds. I am hoping these two things will choke out or at least cover the weeds. We'll see.

I just put Gage down awake for the 2nd time today. The 1st time he cried for about 10 minutes. This time, he fussed for maybe 2 and he's out cold now. We tried squash yesterday and it's apparently not as offensive as peaches, apples, and sweet potatoes. We'll try again this afternoon. He's figured out how to sit up for a long time without falling over. He enjoys being able to sit and play with his toys. He is trying to crawl or scoot, but so far just scoots backwards. I have been signing to him some..."momma", "daddy", and "milk" are the ones I use most of the time. He thinks the sign for "milk" is hilarious, for some reason. He laughs every time I do it.

2 comments:

Steph said...

When you're done with your yard, you can head right on over to my place! I love doing yard stuff, but I am not that good and have been way too busy the last few years.

Gage sure is growing fast! :)

Ashley said...

I miss having a yard to work in! Plant some roses for me. I absolutely love them! What is your email address? I thought I had it but Gmail is telling me no!