Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

PT

Gage was evaluated for physical therapy today. It went well. I really like the therapist. She came highly recommended, Even though there are places where he could be seen closer to our house, or even have a therapist come to our house, it is worth it to have someone with so much experience with kids with spina bifida. She used to work in the Spina Bifida Clinic at Children's and also sees Gage's buddy Kaden. Gage did well. She hasn't scored out the test yet, but told me that he was a little behind in a few things and doing well with others. She said that if the test called for army crawling backwards that he would have scored the highest on that, but it requires forward motion, which he hasn't figured out yet. Oh well. I am glad we are starting now, while he is still pretty close to age-appropriate instead of waiting until he's way behind. I am excited to get going with it! Gage was friendly and happy, as always, even though he hadn't had a nap and was tired. Maybe that's why he wouldn't roll back to tummy- or maybe it's because I'm an obsessive OT and never put him on his back and he doesn't really get it yet, even though he can and has done it a couple of times. I guess some mommies over-do the "put the kid on their back" thing. I overdid tummy time.

I also got to see a speech therapist that I worked with in the nursing homes, when I was fresh out of OT school. She is so sweet! My other SLP friend that I knew worked there is on maternity leave...with her 2nd set of twins! I had no idea! I can't wait to see her and catch up!

I guess that's all for now!

6 comments:

Emmilu said...

It sounds like you had a good visit! That's great news!

Anonymous said...

Jessica--I have been checking your blog often and am loving hearing how Gage is doing! I actually saw his name on the list at our clinic for his eval and was sooo excited when I saw who was doing it!!! She is definitely great!!! I love working there and I think you have made a great choice by going there! I should have called you about "L" having her 2nd set of twins! They are beautiful and she looks great already!! I hope I run into you sometime at the clinic!! Take care and hope everything continues to go very well for you guys!!

Renay Martin

Ashley said...

Glad it went well! Gage has a great mommy! Hope you had a good Mother's Day!

Joye said...

I am happy it went well. What type of things will she help Gage do? He is so precious.

Courtney said...

Good job, Jess on starting your own business!! I'll have to order one of your slings with my next baby! They look beautiful :)

Adalynn said...

Well it sounds like things are going well. I was getting paranoid about speech and language milestones so I brought home a protocol from an infant test and decided to fill it out every month just to make sure we are on track. Us therapy moms are a little crazy. I am so excited that Gage is doing so well. My cousin Logan has spinal bifida and he plays football, basketball and baseball, marches in the band and is like the smartest kid in his class.