Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Friday, September 19, 2008

My new project

I just had to share. My first project with my aforementioned sewing machine was to make myself a Mai Tai using these directions. It took a little work and I messed some things up just because I couldn't "see" the final product, but they are things I think I could fix in subsequent ones. I want another, unpadded one, but I will wait for a steal on fabric. I could have had chintz yesterday for $2.99 a yard, but it wasn't the color I really wanted and I wasn't 100% sure chintz was a heavy enough fabric to use. I may go back for it...

This is made of natural canvas. I like the stiffness of it. It was a little hard to sew when I was doing 3 or 4 layers at a time (like at corners where I had hem plus strap plus padding) but overall, not too bad. I had to lengthen the pattern a little and that worked out well. I have made 3 panels to change out. 2 of them were fat quarters and 1 was from some leftover fabric I had. I padded the shoulder and waist. I think I would still pad the waist because it keeps it from cutting into me. I still love my slings, but for longer outings, this is the way to go!

It will also work as a front carrier and for a small baby.




3 comments:

Emmilu said...

cute!! Looks comfy too!

Ashley said...

Very nice!

Whitney said...

You are SO creative! I am so envious of your creative ability and knack for figuring things out!!! It was so good seeing you guys, wish Tony had been able to make it. Can't wait until Thanksgiving! Love, Whit