Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Monday, March 16, 2009

I know I know

BAD blogger! I just haven't been feeling the bloggin love lately. It's been so long so I feel like I should update, so I will.

A few weeks ago my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer. He underwent surgery to remove it and is now awaiting the start of 6 months of chemo. Surgery went really well, and they think they got it all, but the chemo is like insurance for that. Gage and I went for the surgery and week following. Gage got to stay with his aunts and cousins while we were there and he really enjoyed it. He was a pretty good boy at the hospital and rode along when Grumpy walked the halls. Grumpy got to come home a day early- the day before Huntsville got upwards of a foot of snow!

When we got home, we taught another class at UCA. They didn't expect Gage to be there with me, and were excited to have him. He crawled around the class and visited with everybody while I talked. I honestly don't know if they heard a word I said because they were paying attention to Gage! We go again to a different class this Thursday, and we're looking forward to that, too.

Last week, Aunt Rachel (who hasn't posted on her blog in 6 months) spent her spring break with us! We didn't do anything too amazing but it was really nice to have her here. She got to go to therapy with us and experience all of the "fun" the waiting room has to offer.

Last night Nate got here with PawPaw. The guys all went fishing today and Nate is staying with us this week. He's going to get to go to class with us Thursday night, which is cool since UCA is on his list of colleges to visit. We may take Gage's walker with us. In fact, we need to start taking his walker with us when we can. He needs to know it's a useful tool, not just something he has to do in therapy and down the hall at home. I think we'll start with church tomorrow night and go from there.

I am really having cloth diaper woes. It started a few weeks ago with a sunburned looking rash on his bottom. I stripped my diapers, thinking there was just some build-up. Didn't help. I changed detergents. Didn't help. I stripped again and then sunned them. Didn't help. I bought some grapefruit seed extract on the off chance that it was yeast and used it in the wash. Didn't help. As a last resort I washed again with a little bleach and rinsed and extra time (so 3 rinses). Again, didn't help. I now have my Fuzzi Bunz listed for sale on Diaper Swappers. The Pocket Change will follow if I can't figure something else. I think he may just be sensitive to the fleece, although I'm not sure why it would have come on so suddenly. I will buy some prefolds and covers with what I make and try that. We'll see. I really hate buying and using disposables!

Because blogs are boring without pics, here is Gage during and after a bath. He loves baths and loves looking in the mirror!

5 comments:

Emmilu said...

I love tub pictures!

Ashley said...

We will be thinking about your dad. Keep us updated on his progress!

allie said...

Hey Jess! I must have had my head stuck in the ground the last few weeks, because i had NO idea about your dad! I am so sorry and will be lifting him (and your whole family) up! I'm glad the surgery was a success...and will pray the chemo does what it's supposed to do! We love you and miss you guys tremendously! Gage is sooo stinking huge and has some serious cuteness going on (as if he could get any cuter)! :)

Ciaran's parents, Jon & Wendy said...

I am sorry to hear about your dad and his battle. I am praying for you all...I'm sure the chemo isn't going to be fun AT ALL.

Thank you for all your comments on my little monkeys page.

Cassie said...

Gage is a cutie. Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog, I'll be sure to keep up with yours as well. I'm sorry to hear about your dad, I'll be sure to pray for him.