Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Monday, April 27, 2009

Suffering

Now that I've recapped vacation and identified the mystery plant as a weed, I am ready to write a real blog entry about a subject- not just an update.

Last week I read a great article about a classy athlete who didn't let fame go to his head. He took time for others when he could have thought "I'm too important for this". I was impressed. In the article was this statement

"They left at 7 a.m. Saturday morning and got home at 2:30 a.m. Sunday, and while that is a long, hard day for anyone, it was especially draining for a 6-year-old who suffers from spina bifida."

I am not the political correctness police. I think writers often use more colorful terms in their writing to convey a certain emotional mood, and that's fine. That phrase "suffers from spina bifida" struck me, though, and I have thought about it a lot since I read that article.

Gage does not suffer from spina bifida. He has spina bifida. He lives with spina bifida. As our friend Matt says of his son Owen, he is blessed with spina bifida. He does not suffer. People who have cancer often suffer. People with Aids suffer. People who lose loved ones can suffer. Gage does not suffer.

I am thankful to all of those who came before him, all of the doctors and nurses, all of the researchers who have made it so that Gage need not suffer with spina bifida.

I mean really. Look at this mud-splashed face and tell me this child is suffering.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Gage is one of the happiest babies I have ever seen!

Ciaran's parents, Jon & Wendy said...

I agree....Ciaran is also one of the happiest kids I know. Not suffering...especially since she had her detethering in Nov.

I think I am now the suffering one with her being a Terrible Two!! :-(

Andrea said...

I understand your frustration. I always try hard to say "a student with ______" and not an Autism child or whatever. I think the key word here was the "suffering" part.

I think that you are a wonderful person and whatever disability you may be faced you would have a positive outlook on. My cousin has Spina Bifida and he has very little limitations on his life.

I guess maybe some parents see it differently!

Emmilu said...

:) He looks like he's doing OK to me!! Certainly a happy boy! I agree that people sometimes don't even realize what they are saying. Gage has Spina Bifida and that may affect his life in many, or just a few ways as he grows... but you are right, he's not suffering! Especeically with the two great parents that he has!

Joye said...

Good point. He is getting so big and cuter and cuter.