Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Monday, June 22, 2009

Surgery update

The hospital has blogger blocked, but I was able to get to it kind of indirectly to post (YAY!). Surgery went really well. We arrived here at about 5:30am and after doing all of the pre-op stuff, he was taken right at 7:30. He was in for about 3 hours. They did the Chiari decompression first. The doc said that when he removed the bone that the part of the spinal cord behind immediately spread out, so it was under a lot of pressure. I was worried that we hadn't made the right decision in agreeing to that part of surgery since Gage wasn't having symptoms, but now I know we made the right choice. After getting done with that part, he started on the cyst. That area was also under a lot of pressure and there were apparently some adhesions to unstick. He said that after that was done that the fluid was flowing freely again.

We got to see him about 45 minutes after he came out of surgery in the PICU (he came straight here instead of recovery). When we first saw him, he lifted his arms and said "mere" and I was allowed to pick him up. He sat in my lap sleeping for a while, but would cry every time I would shift so I put him back in bed, where he seems much more comfortable. He's asleep now and seems to be comfortable. His little throat is sore from the tube and I'm sure his neck hurts, but he looks better than I anticipated. He has 2 tiny little dressings- one right at the base of his skull and the other just an inch or 2 lower (much higher than I thought).

Thank you all for your prayers and offers to help in one way or another. We are doing well now that it's over. I don't think visitors would be a good idea right now- we can only have 2 people in the room at a time right now and no food allowed in here. I'll update again tomorrow and hopefully we'll be on the floor in a (private) room... We're hoping for private anyway!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praise God for such a good surgery and report. We love you! Jenni

Nichole Sanders said...

Praise God!!

Shirley said...

Thankful, that all the surgeries are over for now and I knew all along ya'll were making the right decisions. Ya'll have been on my mind and in my prayers all day. Give little Gage a hug and kiss for me. Love, Shirley

Emmilu said...

Thanks for the update, so glad everything went well!

Marcie said...

Hey, we are glad to hear Gage's surgery went well. Thinking of you guys and hope Gage has as easy a recovery as possible.
Marcie

Whitney said...

Glad to hear a positive report.

Love you, Whit

Blake's Mom said...

What wonderful news...prayers were answered. We were touched when reading that Gage said "mere" when he saw you. He is such a sweety. Keep us updated when you can...most importantly, take care of that little sweety and don't forget to take care of yourselves.
love and hugs,
Heath, Laura & Blake

Ashley said...

So glad the surgery went well. We will pray for a quick recovery!

Stacy said...

Give him a hug and kiss from the Pierces and be sure to say "aww". :-) I can just see his sweet face and smile and those little arms reaching out to you. We're so thankful that all went well. You all try to get some rest.