Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Post surgery update

Gage went to PT today for the first time since surgery. I was anxious to hear what she had to say about him. I thought I had seen some improvement since surgery, but I'm mom and I'm looking for it. When she came out with him, they didn't have his walker, but she had a rolling stool and he was holding her knees lightly and walking in front of her. She was helping him at his hips. I asked her how he did and, and she said "Oh, awesome! We could not do this before surgery." I was so thrilled. My expectation for the surgery was that he wouldn't get any worse. My hope was that he would regain some of the function that he had lost, and it looks like that has happened. We talked some more and apparently to her, the change is very obvious. She wants me to work with him some without the walker and encourage him to stand and reach up over his head. I am just so happy!!

And now for a general development update:
Gage has a pretty big vocabulary, both spoken and signed. He can repeat just about anything you say to him and has about 70 signs (WOW, I just counted. I had no idea he had that many). We just got the 4th Baby Signing Time DVD and on the first run through he was already trying the new signs. His newest hard word to say is Rachel (my brother's g/f). He says it pretty clearly "Rah-choo". He's putting 2 words together consistently as well.

He loves talking about airplanes ("pay-pane") and since the C-130s from Little Rock fly over our house all the time, we get lots of opportunities to see them. Anything with a big engine noise that he can't see is a pay-pane. He loves to drive and asks to in Daddy's truck or boat every time we walk by them. He talks on our phones all the time, and thinks that Tony's dad (Pops) is always on his phone.

He and Katie are big buds. If she lays in the floor he will spend a long time just climbing back and forth over her. She usually lets him, but she'll eventually get tired of it and roll over. She accidentally scratches him with her big feet sometimes, but he gets over it. She tries to be nice, but she's just so big. She does get rambunctious sometimes and bowls him over when she first comes in the house. We're working on that.

Gage asks "what's that" constantly, so he is learning a lot of new words. He can name body parts: hair, eyes, ears, nose, face, mouth, teeth, chin, neck, elbow, hands, arm, belly (he is obsessed with everyone's belly), knee, feet, toes and working on leg, and fingers. He is a funny boy. He knows what a dog, cat, and bird say, but if you ask him, he will always say "meow". If you say "what's a cricket say?" he will answer "meow, NOOOOO!"

He is counting to 10 (with the exception of 6) quite often now. He sings "his" ABCs, but so far he only has E and F. He sings all the time- usually Signing Time songs, since that's what we watch all the time.

His Bible class teachers tell me that he is answering questions correctly in class and participating well there. There is a big rainbow cutout in his class and he informed me Sunday that it was an elbow hanging on the wall. He is really good in church services. He sits with Tony or me, and sometimes sits on the pew between us. He "sings" when we do and does his hands as if he is leading. He "prays" when we do as well. He folds his hands, mumbles quietly for a few seconds, then loudly says "MEN!" I think it's a little funny when he cuts off particular long-winded prayers during the service.

Physically he kind of stalled due to the surgery, but with the latest in PT, I expect him to pick up and take off now. He is back to using his walker after surgery and doing pretty well. He pulls up on everything, including the doors at home, and reaches for the handles. I can see that we are going to have to make sure deadbolts are locked around here very shortly. He needs new braces desperately, but I had to hassle the doc's office to send the Rx and after that took so long, his PT wanted to wait until after surgery to see if his bracing needs would change. They are WAY too little now.

His 24 month stuff is getting too little. He's solidly in 2T stuff now, and some 3T t-shirts and stuff. He still has tiny feet, and even with braces, only wears a 6. It's probably more like 4 or 5 without.

He is quite the picky eater these days, and I know it's my fault. I am not good at making nice square meals. Since Tony doesn't eat veggies for the most part, I usually don't bother, so Gage hasn't been exposed very much. I need to fix that. He won't eat anything green, and doesn't really like many fruits, although I do keep fruit around. I can sneak things in somtimes, like putting squash in spaghetti sauce. He'll tolerate apples a little, but won't touch a grape, orange, or anything else. I think he'd eat banana, but I'm a little scared to give him too much since it's a latex-related food. He would eat PB&J for every meal if I let him. I do have some healthy blueberry preserves that he likes for that, so I guess he gets a little fruit in. He loves chicken, spaghetti, and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Here is a pic of Gage and Daddy:

4 comments:

Ashley said...

So glad he is doing well! We really want to get those signing times videos and the Baby Einstein ones. Sounds like he is just flourishing into a big boy!

Joye said...

I am so happy for your babe.

Ciaran's parents, Jon & Wendy said...

Hi Jessica! I am so glad to hear all is well and that Gage is recovering well.

I have had major computer problems and the puter has been in the shop. I would call my mom and ask her to give me your updates because I was so concerned about him after the surgery.

Thank you for telling me about his eating.

What exactly did they do in his surgery?? Did they remove skull or vertebrae??

Thanks Dear...love to all
Wendy

P.S. Glad to hear you pregnancy is so far, worry free..how awesome!!

Emmilu said...

Way to go Gage!! Jessica he is so cute! Glad to hear he's doing well and learning so much!