Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Monday, August 10, 2009

Therapy woes

I have one of the most easy-going kid around. Really, he never went through that stranger anxiety phase and he yells "HEY" at everyone we pass in the grocery store. I really do love it. He's a fun, friendly kid. He doesn't get left with someone often, but when he does, he's so eager to say "BYE" and go play that it almost hurts my feelings :).

The one notable exception came about when he had his surgery, about a month and 1/2 ago. Medical people now scare him and he cries and says "done". It was so bad in the hospital that Tony had to start taking his vitals because he would scream if the techs or nurses tried to, which in turn made his heart rate and blood pressure crazy high. When we all went to my OB appointment last month, Tony and Gage went into the exam room while the nurse took my blood pressure in her little area. As soon as they walked in I heard Gage lose it. He saw the table with the paper on it and knew it was time to cry. My sweet doctor tried to make friends with him, but he wasn't having it.

Then, last week his PT let us know that she would be out for 2 weeks unexpectedly. We're flexible and while I would prefer that she see Gage, I'm totally cool with him seeing another therapist. We went in the first day and he cried. The next day we went again, and he started crying before we even got inside. I even had to walk to the back with him- I have NEVER had to do that. He was acting like he couldn't walk and kept saying/signing "done". Today he threw an all-out fit. Screaming, refusing to walk...I think if he hadn't been strapped into his walker he would have thrown himself on the floor to kick and scream. I decided to let the therapist handle it and I left. When he was done his eyes still looked funny. She said he could make him smile and he was fine as long as he was doing what he wanted to do, but fussed every time she tried to get him to do something he wasn't particularly crazy about.

Now, it's not that he doesn't know these "replacement" therapists. He sees them every time he is with his regular therapist and he is usually very sweet to them. They don't do anything painful to him. He's just mad that his regular buddy isn't there to play with him. I guess in the grand scheme of things, this isn't so bad, but it really makes me mad that he acts so terrible for them!! It's so unlike him in general. Terribles 2s, here we come, I guess.

2 comments:

Amy Hensarling said...

Ok, I'll trade kids with you! We are so beyond the terrible 2s it's not even funny!!!! I really don't know what to do with Kaden anymore and it's not just at therapy. It's ALL THE TIME!!!! Molly never did this, but he's about to be the death of me.

Emmilu said...

All normal. I had to pry Liam's teeth off my arm the other day at Karate. Two was nothing compared to Three... and I hate to tell you but boys are worse than girls!