Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

One Week Old


Evie was born a week ago today!!

We're all doing really well. We got out yesterday for more than just a few minutes. Gage had therapy, and while he was there, Tony, Evie, and I went to Kroger. I had her in a sling. It's amazing how much attention a newborn gets! After Kroger, we introduced Evie to Gage's PT, Reesha, then went out to eat at Chili's. After that Evie had her first pediatrician appointment. We saw the only man in the practice and I really liked him. I don't think he will be her doctor, but I would be okay to see him again. She was 8lbs 3oz, which is still normal range for her birth weight (8lbs 12oz). We go back Tuesday for a weight check to make sure she's gaining now and not losing. It's kind of a challenge at night since she doesn't wake us up to eat. I have to wake her up. She's such a good baby. I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that!!

She lost her umbilical cord stump day before yesterday. The clip was pretty tight against her skin and I think it got bumped a couple of times- it bled a little the night before. Then it fell off by itself. We've never had to deal with umbilical stumps before. Gage's was gone before he left the NICU and I don't remember if I knew when it fell off or not.

Gage still loves her and asks to hold her (c'mere baby) all the time. He pretty much kisses her the whole time he has her...usually right on the mouth. He's not happy unless she is right in his lap. No rubbing her head and kissing while she's in my lap. That's not good enough.

I'm feeling pretty good. My incision itches really bad, but I'm trying not to claw it. I'm still picking tape boogers off of my skin from the dressings they had on me. I'm not supposed to lift more than 10lbs, and I'm finding that to be a challenge with Gage. Tony is good to do it all, but sometimes I think it's stupid to have to call him...oh well. I guess I'll mind.

The ladies from church have started bringing meals. We get a meal every other day for 2 weeks! It's nice not to have to worry about cooking while we settle in.

So far, Evie is not a huge fan of the car seat. I remember that Gage screamed bloody murder for about 3 months straight EVERY time we got in the car, which was often. Evie's not that bad (yet) but she's definitely not a fan.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

She is so stinkin' cute. I just want to gobble her up! Congrats again!

Ashley said...

She is just so sweet!!! You did get out and about. Go you!