Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Day after surgery

I wasn't able to update yesterday, but have my computer in the room now.  Gage had surgery yesterday. It was such a long day!

We arrived at 6am, and got all checked in and called back fairly quickly.  They did vitals and drew blood.  Gage flipped as he usually does.  He doesn't trust anybody when it comes to stuff like that.  After all of that, he played in the play room.  And he played, and he played.  7 hours later, we were still waiting.  Finally, at around 2:00pm, they finally came to get him.  He picked out his toy from the "bunny room" and then went to the OR.
We were hoping the shunt wasn't working and he would just replace it.  That didn't happen.  The shunt wasn't under excess pressure, and was working well enough that the surgeon doesn't think that's causing the cyst.  So, they had to do the laminectomy.  They removed the back part of the vertebra covering the area where the cyst was, then took out as much of the cyst wall as possible.  He thinks he got enough of it out that it won't reform.  Then he put the bone back on and closed him up.  It all lasted about 3 hours, I think.

Gage was really loopy and confused after surgery.  He was talking but I couldn't understand or hear him.  Then we got him a Popsicle.  That lubricated his dry mouth enough to talk, and I don't think he's quit talking since. 

I went to my Mom's and spent the night with Evie, and Tony stayed here with Gage.  When I got back here this morning, Gage was moving around well and talking.  He ate a little breakfast, and quite a bit of lunch.  Right now he's sitting up in bed watching The Princess and the Frog. 

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.  They really have carried us through this stressful time. 


Cassie said...

So glad he is doing well. I was following all of your updates yesterday on FB. Praying for a quick recovery!!

Jamie said...

I had to giggle over the 'hasn't quit talking yet'. So glad things went well and I pray he recovers quickly!