Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Monday, February 28, 2011


It was 11pm and Tony and I were watching tv on the couch. All of a sudden there was a big boom/crashing sound (It was like a freight train, I tell ya!) and everything started shaking. We both shot up off the couch, heading for the kids. It was like a bad movie. My feet got tangled in a blanket and I fell on the dog. Tony almost fell on me. It just kept going! They are saying it lasted around 10 seconds. We finally got to the kids, who were fine and not even awake. I just stood in the hall sobbing and shaking. I have never been more scared in my life. Tony and I stayed up until about 2am, watching the "coverage" of it.  People called in from all over reporting their experience with the quake.  My 2 favorite call ins of the night:
 Lady caller: "the ones last week felt like an explosion...this one felt like something blew up" and another who said that her husband "literately" fell out of his bed.  I guess maybe he was reading a book at the time?  Not sure how one literately falls.  


This was the biggest quake in Arkansas since 1976.  It was a4.7 magnitude only 2.5 miles deep and centered 675 YARDS from my front door. There were 2 3.8s that followed pretty soon after, and we heard rubles all night long, including a couple of 3.2s and a 3.6.  We just got earthquake insurance last week!  We had a couple of downed pictures and a candle in a jar that fell and broke, but otherwise, no damage that we can see. 

1 comment:

Cassie said...

Good grief, that would scare the mess out of me! You guys need to move to Texas! :)