Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Friday, March 18, 2011

Bedtime Victory!


I won! I won! And victory is bliss.

A few weeks ago, I decided that I had had it with our bedtime routine (or lack thereof). We would keep Evie up until 10:00 or later just to put off having to deal with her and hoping she would get so tired that she'd just pass out. She HATED going to bed. HATED it. She would scream forever if I let her. I couldn't handle true "cry-it-out" and neither could she. She would just get herself so worked up that if she did end up passing out, she would wake up not long after. If she woke in the night, the only solution was to bring her to bed with me. Otherwise, I'd be up forever trying to get her back in her bed. It was awful. I was exhausted.

Then, I decided to try something. I told her it was time to go night-night, kissed her, loved her, then put her down. She, of course, stood up crying, as she always did. Without speaking to her or engaging her in any way, I put her back down, and backed up to the door. She got up again, I put her down again. This went on for quite a while the first night. She finally gave up trying to get up, and just laid on her pillow and cried a bit, then went to sleep. 

The next night, it didn't take as long. By the 1 week mark, I was putting her down, and she might fuss a little, but she wouldn't get up and she would be asleep in a few minutes. I had to work naps and middle of the night in a little more slowly, but eventually I did.

I just put Evie down for a nap. She didn't even flinch. She just put her little head down and went to sleep. If she wakes in the night, I don't engage her. I just put her back down and back up to her door until I'm sure she's staying down. I am so much more rested and so is she. It's awesome.  Bedtime now takes 10 seconds with her. 

I know many parents struggle with bed times and nap times. It's a tough teaching time. I didn't want Evie to think I had abandoned her, or to think that her cries would be ignored if she really needed me. She just needed to learn that it was time to sleep, and she was not going to get me to get her up when she cried. We're all a lot happier for it!

3 comments:

Marie said...

yay! I remember how great it felt to get Kasey sleeping at night and at naptime by herself! Of course- she was 16 months or so when I finally got around to it. but YAY YAY YAY for little Ms. Evie!

Cassie said...

I think there is something about the second child...Caleb was a dream when it came to sleeping but Benjamin has been a challenge! Yay for sleep!!

Jamie said...

I am glad to hear you are getting some good sleep! Mine are still in my bed, but mostly let me sleep, thankfully :)