Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

New Kicks!

Yesterday at PT, Patrick the braces guy showed up with Gage's new brace and shoe for his right side.

The brace is more substantial at the top, around his leg, and gives him more support.  He has been crouching more with his right side, and really stressing the back of his old brace.  This one does have a hinge at the ankle, but there is a strap on the back to control how much movement he has. 

His new shoes are just the Keeping Pace shoes that usually come with his braces, but the right one has a built-up sole to make up for the difference in length between his right and left legs. 


Left (unbuilt) shoe


Right (built-up) shoe

I'll be honest.  I hated the new set-up at first.  I felt like the lift on the shoe just looked....special, for lack of a better term.  The more he wears them, though, the more I get used to it, and the more I realize it's really not that obvious.  Someone pointed out that they look like those Sketchers Shape-ups.  It's just my own hang-up with built-up shoes shining through.

Gage is having to learn to walk in his new set-up.  He's gotten used to that right leg being shorter, and walking to accommodate that.  Now his foot hits the ground before he's ready for it to.  I think he'll get used to it, and it will be better for him.  Leaving it untreated puts him at risk for scoliosis and hip issues because he rotates his hips down to make that shorter leg "longer." 

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

What an amazing little boy! Jessica and Tony -- I pray for ya'll OFTEN! I love the Gage stories that I hear from Scott and Allison. You are blessed.
Love you,
Rosemary (Allison's mom)