Welcome to our little space on the net! This blog is just about our family life, and began as a way to keep family and friends updated on what was going on with my pregnancy with our first son, Gage. We've since added Evie to our family, and I continue to blog about family life, car seats, spina bifida, and anything else that catches my attention.

The Kids

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Sunday, July 1, 2012

WIP- Texas edition

Last weekend, a friend came into town, and we met up at the park.  While there, I made Gage WALK across the bridge with the grate floor, without holding on.  He usually wants to crawl, or hold the rails with both hands.  He was not amused.




Gage spends 30 minutes on the potty, every other day.  During that time, he gets to play with my phone.  Here is what my hallway looks like from the toilet...


We have been seeing a lot of brown recluses.  I HATE spiders, and ones that can make your arm fall off creep me out even more.  So, I bought these glue boards to put in the dark and scary places where I find the spiders.  I put one behind the couch.  I caught an Evie instead.

I don't know how well you can tell it, but she was really stuck.  I had to drag her from behind the couch.  She had stepped on the glue board with her right foot, then got it stuck to the back of her left leg, so her right foot was stuck up off the ground.

I know this is a terrible picture, but it reminded me to tell the story.

I arrived at my in-law's house Wednesday night at about 11pm.  They live on a rural highway.  As I got to their driveway, I saw a car with its hazards on about 40 or 50 yards further down.  I told my father-in-law about it, because it seemed unusual.  We went ahead and got the kids in the house, and I went back out for our bags.  When I got to my car, I looked down the road again, and a set of headlights came on next to the one with hazards on.  It "sped" away...well, as well as a junker can speed away.  My father-in-law walked out of the house just as it did, so he heard it, too.  It was dark, so I couldn't really see what kind of car it was or anything.  So, it bothered my FIL enough to go check it out.  He drove down.  When he came back, he said that smoke was billowing out of the parked car, and that it looked to be a newer-model small SUV, like a Ford Escape or similar.  He called 911.  We went back out again, and the car began flaming.  Then it was really roaring and sparks and little explosions were happening.  The grass caught fire, and we started to get worried.  Then a cop arrived and we heard him yell "is anybody in there?!?" We were thinking "well, if there is, he's crispy-fried now." because it had been full-on burning for a while by then.  Finally the fire truck showed up, which is what the picture above is from.  The orange ball on the left is the car on fire.  The white light beside it is either the cop car blue light or headlights, and the orange and red dots on the right are the fire engine's lights.

SO, the reason I was taking the kids to the in-laws is because I went to Ft. Worth, TX for a Handwriting Without Tears conference that happened Friday.  I met my friend Sarah there, along with her family.  I REALLY wanted Tony to go, but he had to work every single day that I was gone.

So, on my way down Thurs, I stopped at my friend Amy's house to meet her new sweet baby girl, and to pick up the Baby Jogger City Elite that I bought from the DFW Craigslist that she picked up for me!  I am forever in her debt.  This thing is awesome!  It's plenty big for Gage, and pushes like butter.


Friday was the conference.  Homeschoolers, you NEED this program.  I can't wait to use this stuff with Gage.  I didn't find the Literacy and Math stuff so helpful for my OT practice as much, but it will be great for working with my own kids.



Friday night, we went down to the Stockyards for the rodeo.  It was a lot of fun, but VERY loud!

Lee Greenwood singing "Proud to be an American, beautiful palomino horse walking, then trotting, then cantering, then running around the arena with Old Glory...it was a recipe for tears.


Cowboy getting out of the way!



Saturday, we went to Sam Moon, then down to the Stockyards again.  We walked around and visited the shops, then watched the cattle drive.


I think my dad needs to move to Ft. Worth and do this.  He's perfect for the part.




I really enjoyed getting to hang out with Sarah and family.  Her kids are close in age to mine, and I felt right at home (and missed my kids!).  Her son held my hand for most of the trip, and said things that really made me wish Gage could have been there so we could listen to their conversations. I'm not posting pics of them because I haven't asked permission.

On my way out of town Saturday, I stopped at Grapevine Mills, which is a gynormous mall.  I stopped and asked a security guard what entrance to go in for the Sketchers outlet, because I wanted some of these.

They were cheaper than anywhere else I've seen them, plus, they were buy one get one 1/2 off :).  I've never been a big trendy shoe person, and I wasn't crazy about the Toms when they first came out, but I like these Bobs.

I went back to my ILs last night, and we went to church with them, and ate lunch there today before heading home.  Poor Gage is sick with a head cold, so I gave him some Benedryl before we got on the interstate.  He was asleep within 10 minutes, and slept the rest of the 3 hour drive home.


They weren't much better than awake after we got home.  I let them in the house, then let Katie in, then went to get our bags.  When I came back in, they were all laying on the floor just inside the living room.


Poor Gage.  I hope he feels better before PT tomorrow.

No comments: